“What’s it all about?”
“What’s what all about?”
“You know, Musicians.net … what’s the website all about?”
“Oh…yes. Of course. Well, let me tell you… Ummm… I honestly don’t have a clue. What do YOU think it could be about?”
“That is a very good question. Let’s brainstorm a bit, shall we?”
“Sure. You first.”
“Very well then…are you thirsty?”
“Perhaps I’m a little parched. Why? Are you offering me a refreshing beverage of some type to wet my whistle?”
“No man, I just want to know if you’re prepared to drink from a firehose…
Musicans.net could be significant. It could be, should be, a destination and an experience and a resource. It should be useful and entertaining. Imagine that… a website for musicians that is entertaining. I’m envisioning articles and interviews that provide insight into the motivation, inspiration, and dreams of musicians, from the street musician who plays songs for his dinner, to the bands who fill stadiums. They still do that, don’t they? I mean fill stadiums and similar venues of grand scale.
I also envision a musician’s resource that provides a wealth of knowledge, of how-to guides, tablature, and music. There should be a historical aspect to it all. It should be an archive of information and talent. Photos, stories, artwork, music samples, video clips, favorite instruments, technology… let’s see… what else?
- The latest news on concerts, bands, musicians … but not a gossip rag.
- It should provide an experience that fans would value and appreciate and talk about.
- It could be a resource of advice for younger, up-and-coming, talented musicians who show promise and ambition.
- It could be a stage with a microphone.
- Calendars of Events, Concerts, both small and large,
- A way for musicians to find other like-minded musicians to form a band, or fill a vacancy on short notice
- A way for music students to connect with music teachers, either for live, 1-on-1 lessons or to access detailed, video tutorials.
- Promotion … self-promotion, group promotion, event promotion, social media promotion… all kinds of promotion.
- A Who’s Who in today’s music scene.
- Unquestionably, there should be a variety of Top 10 Lists… what is in favor? what’s the latest and greatest? what are the trends? Something like Billboard, but different.
- There should be searchable A-Z lists for everything you can think of, from the names of musicians and bands to instruments, genres, song titles, and lyrics. Want do fans want to know about?
- It could be a tool for fundraising for schools… access a live streaming concert or jam session for $1.00 and help school kids pay their way to Ellington in New York City.
- Oh, and merchandise, let’s not forget merchandise. T-shirts, caps, stickers, swag and such.
Have I left anything out?”
“Certainly, there must be something you haven’t thought of… but I’m drowning. Give me a couple of weeks to collect my thoughts and catch my breath, will you?”
“Not to muddy the water, but you know we could always ask for a third opinion.”
“Sure, why not Who do you have in mind?”
“Excuse me. Yes you… yes, I’m talking to YOU who are reading our words on the screen. That’s right.
What do you think Musicians.Net should be about?”