|Rank||Name||2019 Earnings (million)|
|25||Guns N’ Roses||$44|
|36||Zac Brown Band||$39|
So you want to be part of the 1%, not the 99%?
What’s your motivation? Sharing your message or emotions with the world? Fame? Money? Respect? Power?
It’s hard to measure just how much competition there is for making the Big Time as a professional musician. Every genre and every market has it’s own unique challenges. For instance, do you think of yourself as the best polka music accordion player in Poughkeepsie New York? Or do you think you play the meanest electric guitar in Hollywood California? Different markets require different strategies, but they all share one thing in common, it’ll take a lot of hard work.
There’s much to be said about staying power too. A loyal fan base has an appetite for an endless stream of new material.
But hey, that’s what you do, right? Write music, write songs, play music, sing songs, perform, perfect your craft? No sweat. Actually, lots of sweat.
You’re determined, you’re motivated, you’re a fighter and a survivor. You might get knocked down every now and then, but you always get back up, defiantly asking, “Is that all you got? Bring it on.”
Here’s some advice for all you stellar musicians to help keep your head clear…
- Decide to always be optimistic, no matter what. It’s a choice you make.
- Study excellence and become excellent.
- Learn from other people’s mistakes, not just their successes.
- Seek out authentic criticism from professionals, not your family and friends.
- Know how the money is made, from Branding and Writing to Touring
- If you’re serious, are building momentum and cash flow, then you’ll be smart to incorporate sooner rather than later.
- Get started learning how to produce your own music.
- Register your work and get paid every time it’s played. Choose one Performing Rights Society to join from ASCAP, BMI, CD Baby Pro, or SoundExchange.
- Know about Copyrights. Know how to get it done, what it costs, why you need to do this and when you need to do it.
- Master the work of Distribution and learn how to get your work on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, and all the others.
- Be active on Social Media every day…no kidding, make it part of your life’s daily routine, like eating, bathing, and sleeping, assuming you do those things every day. Post about your industry experience, your new music, upcoming gigs, other musicians, what you love.
- A band is part of a team, not just the team. Be a team player. You can’t do this all by yourself. Other team members include labels, distributors, managers, booking agents, publicists, influencers, and social media managers. It takes time, but commit to surrounding yourself with the best.
- Have a plan and stick to the plan, don’t just be bob around like a bottle in the ocean. Know where you’re going, put it in writing. It’s ok to take a few side trips or even change your final destination, but you’ll still need a plan to do that.
- Try to stay humble, meaning you’ll be hated for taking all the credit for any success you experience. Don’t be hated. Know that it’s always the result of teamwork…period.
What advice for musicians do you want to add to his platinum list? Let us know in the comments below and you just might see your tips added.
Apple iTunes has an Affiliate Progam, but Spotify doesn’t? What’s up with that? In light of their earnings report maybe they should re-visit this decision.
Q1 2018 Revenue
In Spotify’s first ever earnings report, the streaming music came up a little short, pulling in $1.36 billion revenue in Q1 2018. That’s compared to Wall Street’s estimates of $1.…
CollegeMusic Started streaming on YouTube on Nov 26, 2016
A trick of YouTube’s algorithms has led to the blossoming of hundreds of unlicensed, independent radio stations on the site, reminiscent of an age of underground broadcasts in the previous century.
350,561 subscribers as of 5/3/2018
A 24/7 Radio station with a never-ending stream of your favorite tracks whenever, wherever. All day, every day.
Follow the CollegeMusic Spotify playlist here: http://spotify.collegemusic.co.uk
- Instagram ▸http://instagram.collegemusic.co.uk
- Facebook ▸http://facebook.collegemusic.co.uk
- Twitter ▸http://twitter.collegemusic.co.uk
- Soundcloud ▸http://soundcloud.collegemusic.co.uk
- Snapchat ▸http://snapchat.collegemusic.co.uk
College Music – Discover the undiscovered
- Electronic Music
- Late Nights ?
- LoFi hip hop
- Ambient Music ☁
- All Tunes ?
- Sunday Mornings ☕
- Tropical Tunes ?
- Free Music ?
- The Color of You
- 24/7 Live Radio Stations
- Oh Wonder
- Chill Nation
- Poiesis Music
- Mellowbeat Seeker
- Underground Charisma
- Aruarian Music
- DUST ERA
- Louis Futon
- Zak Abel
- SG Lewis
- Tom Misch
- H O N N E
- Oh Wonder
At College Music, we find and showcase the latest work from up and coming artists. Whether you’re about to go out, having a party or just relaxing; we aim to represent something exciting, attractive and inviting. The name originated because a small group of friends while at college struggled to find music which had originality and didn’t conform to the generic “pop” which was consistently released to the public. College Music is about new music from unheard artists and providing a platform for them to be heard by listeners like us. We firmly believe that a brand’s name, ethos, and content should all align together. For us, our name ties in perfectly.
Directed and written by Collin Cook
Directory of Photography: Taylor Hoos
Executive Producer: Zech Campbell
Look me up darling When you get home If you get home Call me up lover When you find time If you find time It’s crazy now you’re gone It’s crazy that you’re gone It’s amazing I can breathe It’s amazing I can speak Look me up honey When you feel fine If you feel fine Call me up girl You know where I am You know where I’ll be It’s crazy now you’re gone It’s crazy that you’re gone It’s amazing I can breathe It’s amazing I can speak I feel alright when I hear your name Shouldn’t I feel some kind of insane Shouldn’t I feel like I’ve been replaced Got a new heart but i still got this face And i'm feeling fine You know this face so you know that I’m doing great And you know this face so you know that I’m feeling great Look me up lover You found your time And I found mine